Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The Jungle


It was written 1.5 yrs ago for an assignment in my Eng 103 course. I look at this now and think its worth posting. Its here as it was written, though there are many places I think it needs my "magical" touch of improvement.

It was the scorching month of May when I visited the Jungle. The sun was above the head, the roads were dusty but the jungle was still in its good mood. It welcomed me with the amazing sight of green trees, exotic plants, varieties of birds and most surprisingly a river flowing through its heart. This sort of sight is definitely seldom seen in the city which created a rhythm in my heart.

There were mostly mango, banana and jackfruit trees that I could identify. Water rushed in my mouth after seeing the red ripened mangoes hanging, inviting me to taste them. Black crows were sitting still beside the fruit like a guard, as if naughty children will snatch the fruit from its mother. Bananas, some green and some yellow, were hanging like grape fruits in their vines. Though there were no sign of the monkeys, but I saw an army of big red ants marching through the tress. Jackfruits were scattered all over the mighty tree. Unlike the other trees, the jackfruits greeted me with their sweet aroma which from my nose hit directly my heart. Some busted in the hot sun while the others waited for their turn. The red mangoes, the yellow bananas and the golden spiky jackfruits created a fairy tale environment.

There were many exotic plants with some wild species intermingled with them. They had the combination of flowers with all kinds of colors I ever witnessed. The red flowers were very eye-catching, the purple very exceptional, the yellow very bright and the orange very arresting. Nature had carefully made flower beds for them as they all stood separated from each other. Unknown wild plants grew here and there without a license, arousing the overall beauty of the flowering plants. The most remarkable sight must be the buzzing bees extracting honey for their queen, while the grasshoppers hopping in the grass below.

Though I did not see any animals, but I was surprised to see such diversity of birds in the jungle. From the crow to the Moina and many unknown ones were also seen, creating a community of their own. Some flying, some resting in the trees while the others walking gravely in the land like humans, really made me wish to have wings and fly.

The river was rather disappointing as it was no more than a swollen drain. The green water with the floating mosses threw a smell I was never aware of before. The thick water hit the mud banks on each side and showed glimpses of a silver colored dead fish. Plastic bags swim across its weedy surface like boats in a sea. But the sight of a pair of small bewildering frogs jumping arm in arm from one water lily to the other, made me find beauty in ugliness.

The trip to the jungle was not only entertaining but it was also very educating, informing me how precisely the ecosystem works. The birds, bees, plants and the flowers made me feel like a part of them. I realized that the magnificence of nature with all its splendors can only be found in a quiet jungle.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

dude iv read ur stuffs...its quite good, and the way i see it, i mean u wrote this 2 yrs ago or sth right? now u should seriously start writing!

-john